Thursday, May 07, 2009

a hoarder in the making...

no, not really... but i do love a good collection. so does grammy, in fact i think she may have invented the whole idea of collecting, if not she took it to a whole new level.

i have quite a few collections going right now, some old, some new.

here are just a few...

vintage glasses. my rule is there has to be at least six to warrant a purchase and they have to be in really good condition (these are not all of the sets i have just the ones i have on display)


vintage towels. i know you are thinking "how gross" but i only buy them if they are in new or like new condition and we never use them. just ask chris, he has gotten in big trouble for that one.


old cameras. this one is new. really i guess you could say i was collecting them without realizing it. my mom has given me my favorite ones and the rest are just thrift store finds... however i have used all but 2 of them.


and everything else. well, salt and pepper shakers, pyrex bowls, tea cups and saucers, and those old salad bowls that are my newest obsession. ann got the cups and saucers for me because she knew estee would go nuts for them and the salt and pepper shakers i have had for a long time, i love that so many of them were given to by family and friends and i get the warm and fuzzies every time i look at them. i only have two of the salad bowls so if you see them around let me know... i think they may be a hot ticket item.


tell about your collections...?

14 comments:

Auntie Ann said...

Granny for sure took it to a whole new level. I feel VERY jealous when I look at all of your collections but those towels are hurting my heart!

Helen Melon said...

I have a silly little request to make... I am wondering if it would be at all possible for you to post a close up picture of those darling tea cups at the bottom left hand side? that would be really awesome. they just look so cute i want to have a closer look!

Melisa said...

Oh I love to collect plates. But since you posted that picture of your vintage towels I am thinking I am going to start collecting thoes beauties!!!

Super fun Post!

BonnieandSteve said...

Hi, love your blog! Just wanted to say that it is not hoarding if it's got a place to be displayed, then it's called art.

I think I have some towels to match yours. I bought them at the thrift store to makes funky bibs but couldn't bring myself to cut into them.

Thanks for blogging!

Helen said...

I have a few vintage cameras but not what I would call a 'collection', if Ihad the room I definitely would! I also seem to be growing a collection of tea cups and tea pots.

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

Thanks for having us over! The collections are even better in person! and I sometimes find myself up late snacking having "me" time too

ellen said...

I collect old typewriters, bottles and pyrex. I live in New England which is a fun place for antiquing! I'm on the look out for vintage fabric/patterns but haven't had much luck.

Martha said...

Oh my! We collect some of the same treasures! I actually have some of the same green goblets in that first picture! And I also recognized of few of my same treasures in the pictures from when your lovely home was featured in Made by Girl! Those towels are simply marvelous! And my mom has a few of those salad bowls I've remembered her using them my whole life!

.caroline armelle. said...

love all of your collections. and i'm glad those piggies i gave you made the cut!

i've been collecting a lot too, things like milkglass, vintage pyrex, vintage suitcases, etc... clint really hates it each time i come home with something new... which is like once a week.. it's a serious addiction.

Casey said...

hi! i love your blog and am a subscriber...what fun collections you have! my collections aren't quite as established but i'm always looking for teacups and plates...eventually i'll have enough to display them in a creative way...but for now i actually use them. :)

twin2trip said...

I collect so many different items but my largest collection consist of both new & vintage ribbons, fabrics, trims & notions. It's a little out of control partly because we have this store here that sell tons of vintage and designer fabrics & such for bottom of the barrel prices....darn that store.

It's so fun to see what others collect. Fun post!

sarah marie. said...

i get jealous just thinking of the finds you have. you guys seriously have a gift for thrift stores. and the dollar store too.

Mollybelle said...

I have a collection of Beatrix Potter porcelain figurines. I can't wait to put them in my nursery someday. I also collect my "favorite songs." I take all the songs that have significance in my life, or just a fabulous memory attached and write them down, save them on the computer, and to an ipod playlist... They are the songs that I could never ever tire of hearing.

Anna Eleni Pontikis said...

Wonderful collection! I also collect pyrex bowls, tea cups and vintage glasses! I have a blog entry dedicated to my grandmother and my tea cup collections: http://aelenipontikis.blogspot.com/2009/03/among-porcelain-among-some-talk-of-you.html
People's collections are fascinating... my grandfather collected anything from video tapes, to hats to rubber bands.... I feel as if ours are much more practical!
Great post!