Tuesday, January 31, 2012

secret recipe.

if you want to be the mom that makes the world's best chocolate chip cookies, then this one's for you.

that was my mom growing up. but sadly her recipe does not work in utah. i kid you not, with the altitude (or maybe that my mom is stingy with her recipes and never really divulges her secrets) i can't get her recipe to produce the wonderous cookies i remember from my childhood.

then my sister in law erin shared this recipe with me. OH MY, THE BEST. and i have tried a lot of recipes. they are big, fat and chewy deliciousness. oh and they are really pretty too.

see...


here is the recipe.

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet or milk chocolate chips
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.

Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

* i use milk chocolate chips.

** i like to sprinkle a tiny pinch of sea salt on mine. mmmmm. if you're in to that sort of a thing.

*** don't be tempted to make them smaller, they aren't as good (texture is compromised) and trust, you will want them big :)

and just in case you were wondering how cute lewie is at 7 months old...



really, really, really cute!

13 comments:

Amy D. said...

YOU BLOGGED!! CAN'T WAIT TO TRY THESE, I AM STILL ON THE HUNT FOR MY PERFECT CHOC CHIP COOKIES. HOPE THIS DOES THE TRICK. SEE YOU THURS.

Mary said...

I don't know what to say!

Sarah boo said...

This is a really good recipe. Just a note though, if you have the parchment paper, or a silpat, I'd use it over the grease because it also helps these bad boys keep their shape better so that they don't spread out too much when they are cooking.

Amy said...

Thanks Sarah! Yes, I have only made this recipe using parchment so I would recommend that so they look pretty :)

Also, I rolled them into balls.

One more important thing to note... Do not over cook these! Take them out BEFORE they have browned. Like when you think they are just about to get a tiny little bit of lightly (lightly) browned! HA! My magic number is 16 min.

Amy said...

Thanks Sarah! Yes, I have only made this recipe using parchment so I would recommend that so they look pretty :)

Also, I rolled them into balls.

One more important thing to note... Do not over cook these! Take them out BEFORE they have browned. Like when you think they are just about to get a tiny little bit of lightly (lightly) browned! HA! My magic number is 16 min.

kylee said...

nothing beats a good cookie.

So Truly Lovely said...

I found that recipe online by googling (seriously) "the best chewy chocolate chip cookies." I make them quite often as they just bring a smile to my face :) Hope you are doing well and enjoying your new little one! Ours was due yesterday....only God knows :)

xoxo, Anna Norman (was Wright)

mom24orsinis said...

so funny you posted this today as I am in the process of making the MUCH "Pinned" Jacques Torres chocolate chip cookie recipe, in 2 forms...the original and a Pinners tweaked version of it! Glad you found one you love...I"m eager to see how these babies turn out (using cake and bread flour instead of AP flour...)

Anyhoo, beyond cookies your "little Simone" is PRESH!!! What a blessing his face is...thanks for sharing with us!

Dorothy & Tony said...

The cookies look divine & I will definitely need to try but I must say Lewie is so adorable he looks way more edible...he is so stinkin' cute! How could you resist munching on those cheekers everyday!! :)

Olya said...

Oh, my heavens! SO CUUUUTE and those cookies look really appealing. And I am not even a sugar lover- macarons are exceptions here :) I am making them today! and Lewie... no words...

Erin said...

I found it online myself! I do refrigerate the dough as others have suggested, otherwise it spreads too much. And the recipe doesn't make many (or is it that I eat too many?) but I've yet to double eat because I'm afraid the whole egg/egg yolk ratio doesn't stay the same.
That Lewie is super cute! Has his hair gotten dark or is it still reddish?

a.b. said...

I love your blog :) You are so darn creative and cute--and have the most adorable and beautiful children.

likeschocolate said...

I am not sure how I found your blog because I just looked down at my screen and there you were. Anyway , your son is adorable. I have a 7 month old too. I also have two children with different are defects. I would not spend too much time stressing about it. These children do great. My 5 year old has Tetrology of fallot which is where the pulmonary and aorta are not attached. He also had a whole in his heart and still has pulmonary stenosis. He is doing great. My 7 month old daughter had a hole in her heart and she is doing fantastic! BTW these cookies look amazing.